List:       krbdev
Subject:    Re: What Should I Push On?
From:       "Henry B. Hotz" <hotz () jpl ! nasa ! gov>
Date:       2012-05-23 0:16:45

I won't apologize for starting this thread, since I think the discussions have been \
very useful (if a bit off-topic sometimes).  Hope everyone else enjoyed them as much \
as I did.

In the end the only thing I would call an actual bug is that the pkinit client \
plug-in tries to validate the cert on the presented smart card.  That's the kdc's \
job, not the client's.  Perhaps there's a config option I don't understand which \
disables that?  It's not hard to work around.

The distribution's coolkey library seems to work fine (at least on a Scientific Linux \
system).  I don't doubt Doug Engert's investigation, but the platform probably has an \
effect.  In the SRPM, hunk 14 of coolkey-cac.patch is rejected, but you can figure \
out what it ought to be by looking at the "before" code in a later patch.  I'll be \
keeping Doug's patches around in case I run into a problem later.

The output to KRB5_TRACE is insufficient (for me anyway) to debug the configuration \
for the PKINIT plugin.  You need (at least some of) the stuff that would be output by \
the pkiDebug() function.  Building with CPPFLAGS=-DDEBUG does the job, but requires a \
few minor patches to build.  Since the needed patches seem to be the same on SL6 and \
MacOS 10.6, I'll submit those after I send this email.

I've been doing smart-card Kerberos for some time.  Now I've got all the i's dotted \
and t's crossed for a no-password realm that doesn't need custom client software on \
the core OSs used in some of our most critical infrastructure.

Thanks guys!