List:       kpovmodeler-devel
Subject:    Re: Frame System
From:       Andreas Zehender <az () azweb ! de>
Date:       2006-10-03 16:34:32

Hi Miguel,

Miguel Angel Gómez Márquez schrieb:

> ----
> IMO these defines should never make it into the povray code
> -----
>
> Why? I've used them, and they worked.
> (watch the video i sent you, there is a render (animated) example of it)

Yes, It's a nice idea but it hardly fits into the architecture of
KPovModeler.
What I had in mind is to loosely connect the animation objects or
scripts with the animated objects, what means that the objects have no
idea that they are animated.

Following your idea, an object A has to know that property B is modified
by the animation system and should be exported to povray not with the
actual value but with a constant and it has to know the name of that
constant. Every single object and every single attribute. Just think
about how to implement that without modifying every object, and
implementing that in a plugin is not possible at all. If you bring up a
good solution here you can convince me :-p

It is a little drawback that with my system every frame has to be
exported as separate povray file, but IMHO that's really only a little
drawback. The main bottleneck is rendering of the scene, not the IO or
disc space. When a single frame should be rendered, there is no
difference. When the whole animation should be rendered, KPovModeler
exports the first frame, renders that with povray (maybe parallel in a
cluster). While povray renders one frame, KPovModeler can prepare the
next frame in background and so on.

The main advantage is that animation with scripting or other method that
modify objects with the existing property system is that no single line
of code has to be changed in individual objects.

Regards,
Andreas