List:       kpovmodeler-devel
Subject:    Reactivating developers, KDE4 porting status
From:       Andreas Zehender <zehender () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-05 17:33:04

Hi,

Luis and Leon, I know that you are still reading this list ;-)
and Michael of course.

The kdelibs4 is in a quite good shape, and so is KPovModeler. I already
did the main porting job, KPovModeler compiles and runs stable with the
current kde4 and there are some core programmers that keep KPovModeler
compiling when the kde4 API changes. Therefore: It's a goot time now to
test the new kde4 libs, KPovModeler ... and .... help porting ;-)

Two HOWTOs for compiling kde4:
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE3To4
http://edu.kde.org/development/port2kde4.php

I have here a vmware machine where my kde4 runs. kdebase is far away
from being usable, so I compile and install only kdelibs and use fvwm as
windowmanager.

What needs to be done?
As first porting step all deprecated Q3* classes have to be replaced
with new Qt4 classes.
Mainly (numbers are number of occurrences):
Q3PtrList* 300
Q3ListBox* 65
Q3ListView* 58
Q3GroupBox* 24
Q3Dict* 16
Q3TextEdit* 11
Q3PtrDict* 8
Q3MemArray* 7
Q3ScrollView* 5
Q3VBox* 3
Q3Cache* 3

I already replaced quite a number of Q3PtrList<class> with
QList<class*>, so that's my part. But any help is welcome for the other
classes.

Second step is to replace all other deprecated methods with their
corresponding new ones.
Third step is to port against the new kde4 API. There are a number of
deprecated methods in kde4, but that step should be the last as kdelibs4
is still moving.

Now the question:
Can you spend some time to help me porting and which part do you want to
port?

Regards,
Andreas