List:       kpovmodeler-devel
Subject:    CSG Code
From:       Leon Pennington <leon () leonscape ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-10-12 23:22:02

Hi all,

Completed a working version of my CSG code using BSP as its base, and it comes
in at a very compact 400 lines of code in my little testing program ( a tenth
the size of the BREP implementation ), and its very quick so quick I tried
timing it and the two cubes CSG I was using for a basis didn't even register
a time above 0.0. Its only a proof of the fact that it works, and not that
sophisticated but I feel confident in using this as a basis for KPOV.

Now comes the part of intergrating it into KPOV. This is quite a big task
since lines are no longer good enough, and all the objects will have to be
converted too using polygons ( Obviously excluding lights and cameras, and
other none solid objects ). I'm willing to do this.

Though it has occured to me since I'm converting them anyway, how about we
take advantage of this, I've been think of a global detail level for a while
now. Some one mentioned it when I did the Heightfield display, but also
generating the sphere sweep, with its values for detail as well. I was
wondering what people would think of a global detail level for all object
( well most, it wouldn't apply to cubes for instance, only onjects with
rounded surfaces ), and what would be the preferred way to achieve this. I
thinking coding wise, where would the objects get the value for detail from.
perhaps a parameter to createViewStructure?

--
Leon Pennington

"If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you
teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime."