List:       kplato
Subject:    Re: KOffice History
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2009-05-16 19:37:31

On Saturday 16 May 2009, Richard Georg Bayer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is not on installation and usage of the KOffice suite, but on
> documentation.
>
> I was looking for information on KOffice history and did not find
> out much so far. The english Wikipedia contains a paragraph
> about the history of KWord in the KWord article. And that is
> all so far I found.
>
> Is there a document about the history of KOffice? And if there is
> none, would someone please tell me "how it all started"?
>
> I guess I would find time to put the information collected to the
> english, german and czech wikipedia.

There isn't anything pre-canned, I'm afraid, and much of the early history has
gone by now because websites have dropped old articles or have disappeared. I
did recently do a little investigation into the history of KOffice myself, but
I don't seem to be able to actually find the document I wrote. And for
wikipedea, you need to cite stuff, of course, instead of doing original
research :-)

There is next to no-one still around who worked on KOffice in the beginning.

This is a nice interview from the early days:
http://www.freehackers.org/Fosdem_2002:_Koffice_team_interview.
http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=1999-10-10-001-10-NW-LF and
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3216 place the early history of KOffice in
its wider KDE context.

This is the original thesis that started it all: Weis, T.: Dynamische
Konfiguration von Anwendungen, Master Thesis, J.W.G. Universität, Frankfurt,
1999. You might be able to find copies of his two other articles: Weis, T.:
Stück für Stück, OpenParts - ein freies Objektmodell für Unix, iX, (8) 1998,
page 58. and Weis, T.: Kompositionen in "K", Das CORBA-basierte Komponenten-
Modell für KDE, c´t, (2) 1999, page 152. See also http://www.unix-ag.uni-
kl.de/~linux/linuxtag99/koffice.html.

I'll see whether I can retrieve the document I wrote, but it isn't more than
one or two paragraphs, and it's based on the links I gave you above :-)