List:       kplato
Subject:    Re: [kplato] Re: OASIS Format for KPlato and Project Management in
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-10-27 18:35:32

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 20:15, Mark Tombs wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 October 2004 14.39, zander@kde.org wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 02:27:42PM +0200, Raphael Langerhorst
wrote:

> > > OK, is there a time frame for this?
> >
> > Hmm?  I don't understand the question.
> > Each OASIS specification is seperate; you can't hichhike on the
> > WPs definition IIRC.
> > If you can specify what you mean maybe David can answer since
> > he's the actual contact for the WPs specification.

> > > time... exactly...
> >
> > You need a taskmanager to schedule time, right? :P
> >
> > > anyway, I read a bit more about TaskJuggler and I think it
> > > could be perfectly used for importing/exporting. AFAICS
> > > TaskJuggler is meant to create project plans out of text input,
> > > etc. and can export stuff to HTML and XML, which are both
> > > things (??) KPlato is still lacking and thus these two
> > > applications are not THAT different than I thought in the
> > > beginning and they might be complementary in many areas, which
> > > is useful ;)   (also, we could sum up developer time....)
> >
> > I have no knowledge of TaskJuggler except that I heard the
> > current maintainers discussing possible integration.  But as far
> > as I know nothing happened just yet.
> > Feel free to look through the archives of both lists.
> >
> > Please note that while I coded the initial classes and
> > structures, I have not touched the code in ages and Shaheed and
> > Dag are the last ones to actually maintain the application.
> >
> > That said; I'm pretty sure that you can follow up on the
> > integration issues without to much of a problem.
> > The OASIS stuff is probably going to take more coordination, and
> > I doubt the registration is free, so a much more in depth
> > knowledge of the content and the alternative solutions would be
> > something i suggest before you actually start any initiative.
>
> Not really related to this thread, but I work with an 'enterprise
> portfolio management' system from a major vendor. I am also a KDE
> user and would love to integrate kplato with the system in
> question... The majority of the system is web based, but it uses
> XML and SOAP to send project information to the project scheduler
> tool, which is currently Windows only. This is where kplato could
> come in. Just thinking out loud, it shouldn't be too hard to
> transform the XML into kplato format XML... thats what XSLT is good
> at, after all.

Sounds quite reasonable. I think this is where a standard format comes
in quite handy - the kplato format dtd is available too,... but the
version is a bit scary ;)

As it seems that KPlato devs have not spend _that_ much thought on a
good document format, what do you think in general of adapting the
PMXML format? http://www.projectoffice.com/xml/xml.asp

As it seems this is going to be standardized - which could help KPlato
a lot as it is *compatible* out-of-the-box (without many filters)
with a lot of other apps that also use PMXML. Also it saves time as
we do not need to think of a good format ourselves.

Another option would be an OASIS format(???)

@Mark:
If we decide on the PMXML format, the advantage would be that you
could start on the XSLT transformation right away, because you
already know which format KPlato will have (a time advantage...)

> So anyway I would like to help in some way... I have done a fair
> bit of programming but sadly not c++.

Hi Mark,

Qt is not hard to learn (IMHO), also it is cleaner. Maybe you could
also start by looking through the code and cleaning it up, writing
API docs, etc. By this you will also learn a lot. Of course this
requires basic knowledge of the language - you should probably have a
look at the Qt tutorials that are included in the documentation of
Qt. Also http://developer.kde.org could be useful.

But my feeling is that you learn most by looking through the code.
Just try to get a feeling of the language by looking through the
tutorials and docs (see above) and when you feel like you understand
some of the source just start reading it, if you feel like API docs
are missing, add them when you understand what the thing is doing
(such things are important). You might also find unclean code or
general bad design (I don't know, have not looked at the sourcecode
myself yet). In such cases you should just point that out on the
mailing list, maybe propose improvements, etc. All in all, learning
by doing is a good way to get going. After a while a good book or
sth. on C++ would do some good if you want to do serious development.
If you know much about XML, etc. then you probably can help a lot in
moving to PMXML or whatever format we choose.

> Apologies for the rambling.

no prob ;)

Raphael