Hi,

I was the rewriter of the last IRC protocol. It is a mess due to the fact that I tried to circumvent some of the problem regarding automation of replies user feed back.
I don't know know if the project is still alive, but maybe you should try to look at the other IRC program/stack. IMO, It should have a dedicated library for it.

Else search/search for junior jobs. The best being to use kopete daily and look for issues that annoy you.

Cheers,
   Michel