List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC 2015 - Accepted Kopete projects
From:       Joshua Joseph <joejoshw () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-06-04 14:06:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi All

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:13 PM, Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> GSoC coding period has already started. I still do not see from you some
> (small) patch for Kopete at reviewboard [1] linked together with
> personal cloned git repository at git.kde.org [2].
>
> If you have any infrastructure problems (like cannot post review request
> of create new personal git repository), please let me know... So we can
> fix it ASAP.
>
> Also I would like from you --- all students --- to write timeline for
> your work on GSoC. I believe that when you touched Kopete code,
> tentative timeline in project proposal could be changed.

Here is my timeline:

This is still the original GSoC timeline, and I will update it as I make
changes:

Week 1 (27th May - 1st June)

Code Preparation: The first step will be to start working on the existing
classes
that need to be expanded. By the end of these two weeks, I will have
started
writing the new classes.

Week 2 (1st June - 7th June)

Database structure: I will come up with a workable SQLite database
structure,
and run tests on it. I will also come up with a class to communicate with
the
database.

Week 3 (8th June - 14th June)

Basic logging: At this point, I will work on basic logging, where all the
chats are
logged into the database. I will also come up with an interface to browse
these
chats.

Week 4 (15th June - 21st June)

Mid term preparation: I will prepare for the mid term evaluation, by
ensuring that
the code written before this period is up to spec and working as intended.

Week 5 (22nd June - 5th July)

Break: I will take a break to go to school to apply for my internship. This
internship
will start in October, so it will not affect my Google Summer of Code work
in any way.

Weeks 6 and 7 (6th July - 19th July)

Import and Export: I shall dedicate these two weeks to work on the
import/export
feature. Kopete should be able to import logs from other instant messaging
apps.
On adding of a new account, it should check the config paths, and detect if
any of
the other apps such as Telepathy have logs for that particular account. We
can
then prompt the user on whether or not to import these logs.

I shall also work on the export feature, where the user can export the logs
as text
files, or even stand alone html documents that can be viewed on the browser.

Week 8 (20th July - 26th July)

Backup / Restore: I shall work on a feature to enable the user back up the
chat
history, and restore it later. This backup will be saved in a compressed
file, and
It can be used when migrating to a new computer.

Week 9 (27 July - 2nd August)

Testing and UI Polishing: This week shall be dedicated to thorough testing,
UI
polishing and other improvements. I shall also focus on speed improvements,
in the searching of logs, importing and exporting.

Rest of the Program (3rd August - 17th August)

Code Cleanup: I will focus on code cleanup, bug fixes based on users' and
developers' feedback and documentation writing. I have also dedicated a lot
of time for this last segment, so that it can cater for any unforeseen
delays in
the preceding segments.

I will also start preparing for the code submission to Google.

> Also I would like to see how is progress going. I think small email
> about with weekly/biweekly progress would be enough. Something which do
> not take you more then 15 minutes...
>
> Happy hacking :-)
>
> [1] - https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/
> [2] - http://quickgit.kde.org/