List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: Moving KDE Telepathy to kdenetwork
From:       Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-02-04 11:21:20

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 1:51 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:

> El Dimarts, 3 de febrer de 2015, a les 00:49:17, Martin Klapetek va
> escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > so we decided with KDE Telepathy to join the big guys and become
> > part of KDE Applications 15.04. So I'd like to request a move of
> > KDE Telepathy repos[1] to kdenetwork/. This is also a mail to Urs
> > Wolfer asking for approval as per the policies.
>
> KTP is all KF5 based at the moment, right?

Correct.

> Not being a IM user myself, how does KTP compare to kopete feature wise?

I'm not sure to be honest as I don't know what Kopete can all do. KTp does
not try
to be a swiss army knife of IM, that's for sure, the main objectives are
ease of use,
simple UIs with powerful features underneath and providing good integration
in Plasma.

The main advantage is the architecture and backends - it's all DBus
activated (and
stateless) components, super easy to extend with new protocols support
using Qt,
GLib or Python. Plus the Telepathy project is widely adopted in the world -
Unity,
Ubuntu Phone, Gnome, Jolla, N9 and maybe in other places, making it proven
by usage.
Small downside is that it is developed mostly by Gnome folks and can suffer
from
being bent to their needs only.

> Kopete mailing list: is there any work happening in kopete? Are you even
> thinking on a port to KF5?
>
> > KDE Telepathy has been through kdereview once and we've kept
> > the culture of "everything goes through review" pretty high up, but
> > I guess that move from extragear to main module also must go
> > through kdereview? The app lifecycle page[2] does not mention
> > this case.
>
> I'd say that given it had review already and we deemed it was good enough,
> we
> can just skip the code review and focus on more administrative stuff :D

Worksforme :)

> > Another part that KDE Telepathy needs is KAccounts and we'd like
> > to move that one too, probably to kde-runtime but there seems to be
> > some disagreements of the purpose of kde-runtime. KAccounts is
> > basically a KCM, a kded module and a library for writing custom plugins
> > for various KAccounts functionality. So please advise where to move
> > that. Also note that this was in kdereview just a month ago so I'd like
> > to just skip kdereview for this as it didn't have many changes.
>
> Was thinking, why not kdenetwork? I mean what kind of non network related
> account would you add to KAccounts?

Well I don't have a strong opinion either way. If you think it suits better
in kdenetwork,
then ok. And yes at this point all accounts are network related.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer