List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: A few questions (XMPP, avatars, CommandHandler)
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-03-23 9:05:01

Le Friday 19 March 2010, Teemu Rytilahti a écrit :
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been lately trying to understand the code-base of Kopete to fix
> some issues I have encountered, and after pondering a while decided to
> post here to ask some questions.
>
> The first question is related to avatar handling, especially regarding
> to bugs #156184 and #149602. I located that the issue is that Kopete
> uses account id to save the avatars. The problem is that JIDs may
> contain slash ('/') to indicate the resource for that user, a feature
> which is also used to identify MUC contacts. Now the problem is that
> as the slash is a part of the id and also used as a directory
> separator, QImage::save() won't save the image as the directory where
> it tries to save it doesn't exist.
>
> So to the question, which way this should be handled? I assume that
> the account id is used instead of just a hash to make it user-friendly
> to browse the items, so using a plain hash for filenames is not an
> option. I was thinking about replacing '/' with something else when
> saving the avatar, but what would be replacement? And do such an
> issues appear with other characters allowed in XMPP and other
> protocols?

I think we already replace some characters in the name.  Replacing by
something like '-' seems a good idea.

> Another question is that is CommandHandler a wrong way to implement
> IRC-style commands? Looking to protocols/irc/ircprotocol.cpp, which is
> the only user of CommandHandler, has commented those out. I'm asking
> this because I would like to implement (at least some) of the mappings
> described in http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#impl-client-irc

CommandHandler has been made for the need of IRC long time ago.
I think it should fits the need for Jabber. If it does not, do not hesitate to
improve it :-)

> The final question is about how to handle adding a support for a new
> XEP. Let's assume that I would like to implement XEP-0224 (Attention)
> to allow XMPP users to "nudge". Where should I start looking for the
> right place to do it? Should the ground-work be done in libiris side?

If it is not yet in iris, you can do your own XMPP::Task for that, i guess