List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: introducing Openfire-Qt / searching for a mentor
From:       Martin <darklight.xdarklight () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-01-22 17:20:54

Hi,

> at first I want to introduce my first real c++ project: Openfire-Qt [0]
> it's basically a Qt API for the Openfire-C library (see [1])
>
> Openfire-C is a library which provides access to the xfire network [2]
> as far as I know it's the only actively maintained xfire library out there
> (note: there is a pidgin plugin called gfire: [3], [4]. it includes it's
>  own protocol handling code so I won't count that)
>
> in case you're wondering why I wrote this library:
> I was looking for xfire support inside kopete. trying to add support 'the
> hackish way' I found it's not very clean to combine a c library which uses
> callbacks inside a c++/Qt application
> that was the point where I started to write an abstraction layer which
> provides access to Openfire-C's functions by using c++ and Qt.
>
> as I already stated this library is my first real c++/Qt project (I did a
> small 100 lines of code project before -> that means I'm not very
>  experienced) nevertheless I tried to make the library as good as possible.
>
> my main problem at the moment is that I don't have a mentor.
> at the beginning skyphyr (Alan) helped me out a lot (thanks again!) - but
>  he's been busy the last few weeks and he will be busy for the next few
>  weeks/months
>
> I would need two things right now:
> a) I would need a mentor. there are places in my library where I can't use
>  a d-pointer for example. it's not easy to explain why - but having a
>  mentor which would at least know tiny bits of my code (so I don't have to
>  explain everything multiple times) would be great as it makes development
>  easier and more productive (the results are much better)
> b) I would need someone who could review my current code. see the gitorious
> project page: [0].
> Albert (TSDgeos) already did a quick (very quick ;)) review of my library
>  -> I fixed all problems he found (oh and thanks again to him for his nice
>  support)
>
> if you want to try out my library:
> a minimal sample client (command-line based) is included in the 'test'
> directory. if you have an xfire account you can log in there and receive
> messages.
> note: this "client" is very hackish... I just need it to test my code -
>  it's aim is to make it easier to test my code, not to provide a usable
>  client ;)
>
> now... I really hope at least one of you can help me, so kopete will be
>  able to support one more protocol. maybe someone out there would also
>  volunteer to write the kopete protocol plugin which will then use my
>  library?
>
> Regards,
> Martin
>
> [0] http://gitorious.org/openfire-qt
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/openfire-c/
> [2] http://www.xfire.com/
> [3] http://gfireproject.org/
> [4] http://my-trac.assembla.com/gfire/

I almost forgot: if someone wants to contact me via Jabber: feel free to do
this
my Jabber-address is the same as my email-address.

oh, and if this is the wrong mailing-list for searching for a mentor then
please tell me ;)

also did anyone take a look at my library?
it would be great to get some feedback (positive and negative - without any
feedback it's hard to do further work)

Regards,
Martin