List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Adding Custom Questions to Chatwindow (was:
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-09-29 22:15:40

Le Tuesday 29 September 2009, Michael Zanetti a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> During the discussion if it is a good idea to enable the OTR plugin by
>  default Markus came up with the suggestion that instead of just displaying
>  a message that one should end or refresh the session we could offer two
>  buttons directly in the message. This way, the user doesn't have to search
>  for the ToolBar -> OTR -> End/Refresh session button.
[...]
> I have checked that out now... It is not possible right now for a plugin to
> display PushButtons in the chatwindow other than FileTransfers and
>  VoiceClips.
>
> AFAICS we would need the following changes to make that possible:
> - Introduce a new MessageType "CustomQuestion" or something like that.

Internal message type should work.

> - Extend Kopete::Message to be able to transport button names

Some special HTML tag with given class could do the job.

> - Make ChatWindowPart and KopeteChatWindowStyle capable to display those
> questions (including reading Theme files etc.)

Indeed, buttons should be stylable. (CSS should help)

> - emit a signal containing the Message::id() and the selected answer from
>  the ChatWindowPart through the current ChatSession and connect it to the
>  plugins slot

Yes, thats the most important missing part.

> A plugin could then create an incoming message of Type CustomQuestion and
> custom buttons (Yes/No or End/Refresh) and handle the result in a slot.
>
> Would this be possible to realize or am I missing something? And would such
>  a mechanism be desired/accepted in kopete? I think I could implement this
>  with some little help/feedback from people deeper involved into kopete's
>  development.

I think this is a great idea and that you should do it.
Having interaction dirrectly on the chatwindow is probably better than popup
for many things.

--
Gof