List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Enable OTR plugin by default?
From:       Michael Zanetti <michael_zanetti () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-09-29 11:41:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 29 September 2009 13:33:11 Markus wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 29. September 2009 11:07:42 schrieb Michael Zanetti:
> > I do not really understand what it's the problem with manually
> > ending/refreshing the otr session. It's 2 clicks once in a while.
>
> May I clarify the issue:
> While indeed just 2 clicks away, those two clicks are anything but obvious.
> IIRC the printed message just says: "OTR session closed. You should close
>  it as well."
> I'm hardly a novice user, but after I read that message for the first time,
>  I actually thought that means close the window.
> Then I tried to figure out where to close the OTR session and it took me a
> while to find it.

OK. I agree that could take some seconds on the first time.

> IMHO there are two approaches how to make it more easy -- one probably
>  easier to implement way and one IMHO more elegant way:
>
> Easy way: A dialog window that pops up after my peer ended the OTR chat and
>  I close the chat window that asks me to end the OTR session as well.
>  Similarly, a dialog window could pop up to ask for renewing a session.

Popups... No way! However, the overall idea is quite good...

> Elegant way: Dialog windows are evil, usability-wise. I once saw an instant
> messenger (forgot which one it was) that displayed buttons inside the
> conversation area. That was pretty neat. Those buttons were in that IM's
>  case only used for file transfer requests, but the idea can be used for
>  OTR as well (behold my horrible ascii art skills):

> | Buddy: Hey, I need to go off now. Bye!
> |
> | Me: Alright, cya.
> |
> | "Buddy" ended the encrypted chat session.
> | You should end it as well...._____________
> |........................................ | End Session | <-- This is a
> | button _______________________----------------------- ________________|
> | [ Text input area ]
> |____________________________________________________|
>
> I don't know if that's currently even possible without too much trouble,
>  but I think that could be a good approach without compromising security
>  (by doing things automatically that shouldn't be done automatically) and
>  easy discoverable security measures.

Very nice proposal! Kopete also uses buttons in the chat-window for file
transfers. I think it souldn't be too hard to adapt that for the OTR plugin.
I'll check that out in detail and come to you.

Thanks,
Michael