List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [kopete-devel] kopete Yahoo connect failure
From:       Sverre Froyen <sverre () viewmark ! com>
Date:       2009-09-20 16:34:49

Hi,

Ever since KDE4 I have been unable to connect to my Yahoo IM account with
kopete.  I always get a "There was an error while connecting <user name> to
the Yahoo server. Error message: 17 remote host closed connection" error
message.  Because there have been several KDE bug reports on similar issues, I
have not attempted track this down before.  With the KDE 4.3.0 release,
however, it appears that most (all?) of these issues are considered resolved
-- yet I still cannot connect.  A packet trace shows that kopete does not even
attempt to authenticate.  The total set of packets are

client -> yahoo: SYN
yahoo -> client: SYN, ACK
client -> yahoo: ACK
[pidgin sends its auth sequence here]
client -> yahoo: FIN, ACK
yahoo -> client: ACK
yahoo -> client: FIN, ACK
client -> yahoo: ACK

I also traced the connect sequence from pidgin (which works fine) and it sends
a version 16 authentication sequence starting after the first client -> yahoo
ACK.

I'd like to track down the cause of this and I was hoping you could give me a
couple of pointers where to start looking, in particular a call sequence
description for the login process would be useful.

Thanks,
Sverre

PS This is on NetBSD-current amd64 using KDE 4.3.1

PPS AIM and Jabber protocols work fine.