List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Kopete default settings
From:       Matthias Fuchs <mat69 () gmx ! net>
Date:       2008-12-16 14:43:17

On Dienstag 16 Dezember 2008 04:45:43 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 05 December 2008, Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> > Currently the systray notifications take a lot of space, are not grouped
> > and can be a pita if you were offline and get spammed with a lot of
> > notifications the moment you get on.
>
> that was true before they were integrated into the system tray as well...
> just to be accurate and fair ;)

I'm not sure what you mean. I know that you can collapse these messages but
last time I tried as soon as I got a new message they all were "decollapsed"
and at that point they already used more space than was available on my
screen.

> > Imo rather "Open messages instantly" (Behaviour/General/Message Handling)
> > should be default.
>
> this would be the same but worse, imho.

Just try it -- if you haven't already -- the term they use is imo not
accurate.
Here (1-2 weeks old kopete) the message window is opened in the background so
focus is _not_ taken away. It flashes in the task bar indicating that
something has changed and that's it.

So imo less intrusive than what happens with the current defaults.

> what needed is a way to either agregate all notices from kopete (or $APP),
> or only show the last update for a given contact (since that's usually the
> issue: 10 updates from a given chat partner)

Yes that would be probably a better solution, but I'm not sure if someone will
manage that for 4.2 while changing the defaults close before the release could
be accomplished if the experience then is still not that perfect.