List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Kopete, versions and TLS
From:       Matt Rogers <mattr () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-10-09 13:34:25

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 12:03:23PM +0200, Paul Millar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm very happily using kopete, as packaged by Debian.  I'm using Debian sid
> (so, KDE v3.5.9, v0.12.7), but haven't switched to KDE v4.x yet on most of my
> desktop machines: I'm hoping to do this once KDE v4.x reaches sid.
>
> Several Jabber sites are in a process of switching over to using only TLS for
> communications.  This is beginning with a "Secure Communications Week",
> details are available from here:
> 	http://www.jabber.org/web/Secure_Communications_Week
>
> Whilst this is "A Good Thing", there needs to be support for TLS in the
> application.  The above page suggests that most clients support TLS and if
> your client doesn't, one can simply upgrade.
>
> I can confirm that the service currently does *not* work for v0.12.7, as
> supplied with KDE v3.5.9.  This may be due to any number of reasons, but
> perhaps v0.12.7 lacks some aspect of TLS support that the services now
> require.
>
> The above webpage says that TLS is supported from kopete "v0.50".  However,
> this not very helpful since:
> 	a.  I couldn't discover how to map Kopete v0.50 to a KDE version (v4.0.x,
> v4.1.x?).  Is this information available anywhere?
>
> 	b.  I believe I can't upgrade Kopete without pulling a large chunk of KDE
> v4.x
>
> My questions:
> 	Which version(s) of KDE includes Kopete that supports TLS?  Should I expect
> my v0.12.7 kopete to work?
>
> 	How do I know which KDE version has Kopete v0.50 (I feel this information be
> available somewhere).
>
> 	On the off-chance, is anyone planning on back-porting any missing TLS support
> to the old KDE v3.5.x (v0.12.x, I guess) branch?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.

Kopete has had TLS support for Jabber since quite sometime, at least 0.11, which \
would be KDE 3.4. Please make sure that you have the qca-tls package (however that's \
provided by Debian) installed. You also have to set up your Jabber accounts in Kopete \
to use TLS as Kopete will not try to do so by default.

Hope this helps
--
Matt