List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] jabber group chats and notifications
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-10-01 14:08:38

On Tuesday 30 September 2008, Matt Rogers wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2008, at 4:20 AM, David Faure wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm starting to use kopete, for jabber group chats.
> > When joining a channel, I get a week of messages as passive popups,
> > making the whole thing
> > very unusable until those notifications go away.
> > I'm ready to patch the code, but would be glad to get some guidance
> > about the proper way
> > to fix this.
> >
> > Would it be ok to add a "Incoming Message in Group Chat"
> > notification type?
> >

> Are you getting passive popups about people who are already present
> joining the chat or just lots of messages in a busy group chat?

The latter. Lots of messages.
Also because the groupchat was configured to issue a week of backlog when joining in,
so that we can see what was said while we were away.
So when joining, I get a TON of passive popups.

> I'm fine with an Incoming Message in Group Chat notification type, so
> you can add that if it will fix your problem.

Well, in fact I'm not so sure anymore: I noticed that there is a checkbox
(in Behavior/Events) that says "Exclude non-highlighted messages in groupchats".
That checkbox doesn't seem to be working, otherwise I wouldn't get such
a notification flood. Highlighted means "with my name in the line", right?
Or do I misunderstand what this checkbox is about?