Hello, I just sent the mail below to the Jabber standards mailing list. It's about the KDE game KsirK using Jabber to setup network games. As it should probably use the KDE libraries to connect to jabber, i forward it here to obtain also your advices. Also, to make my first experiments, I'd like to creat a persistent chat room for ksirk, something like ksirk@kdetalk.net. I don't know how you do that, with kopete or anything else... Do you have an idea? Is a sysadmin authorization required? etc. Bye. Gaël ---------- Forwarded Message ---------- Subject: [Standards] Using Jabber in a KDE game Date: Saturday 30 August 2008 From: Kleag To: standards@xmpp.org Hello, New to this list, I'm the author of KsirK, a KDE strategy game. Currently its net game uses pure TCP/IP. One player start its game by setting a port on which to listen to and the others connect to this port. Then the libkdegames/kgame library is used to communicate. This lib as all what is necessary to exchange messages including Qt objects. It also have a chat framework. KsirK is a multiplayer game with, currently, does not allow passive not playing participants. Jabber seems to be a largely better solution. I want to have a very few centralized system, keeping one client as the game server and using the communication framework only for that: a communication tool. I'm also not interested in controling cheating, basing the game in trust. So, my idea is to progressively switch to Jabber. In a first step, it would just allow to publish a proposed game in a kind of chat room and then the current communication system would be used. In a second step, xmpp would also be used to exchange game data. I must admit that, even if Jabber seems promising, I'm a little bit lost in all the specifications and I don't know how to start implementing. I had a look to the recent thread (january and june) about the proposed Games XEPs and it seems promising for me. I will also contact the thelepathy and kopete teams as there are more related to KDE, but I'd like to have your opinion and advices about my ideas. I could describe them with more details, but I'm very not at ease with the underlying concepts and I don't want to say right now too silly things :-) Thank in advance. Best regards, Gaël P.S.: also, it this the correct list to discuss this or shoud I switch to jdev ? -- KsirK - a world domination strategy game http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Tactic_and_Strategy/KsirK KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kgraphviewer ------------------------------------------------------- -- KsirK - a world domination strategy game http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Tactic_and_Strategy/KsirK KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kgraphviewer _______________________________________________ kopete-devel mailing list kopete-devel@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kopete-devel