List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [kopete-devel] Metacontacts behavior
From:       "=?UTF-8?Q?Andr=C3=A9_Neves?=" <andrechalella () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-11 16:44:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

Hi,

I use Debian Lenny, currently on KDE 3.5.9 and Kopete 0.12.7.

I have just switched back to using Kopete and started arranging my contacts
by metacontact instead of loose single contacts for each account of mine.
Though I find this functionality very clever, I had some problems with its
behavior. Having one MSN Messenger and one Gmail account, I found the
following issues.

---

1. Metacontacts' nicknames

1a. When merging two metacontacts (I always put the Gmail one into the MSN
Messenger one, because I prefer MSN when I double-click), my Gmail contact
name changes to the contact's current MSN Messenger nickname. This may be
fixed by manually changing back the Gmail contact name, but this is a pain.

1b. If I manually fixed 1a, Kopete will "resync" the names when I put a
metacontact in a group. This time, changing back the Gmail contact's name
isn't much help, because Kopete instantaneously kicks the metacontact out of
the group.

I found these very annoying, because I have personally changed each of my
Gmail contacts' name and don't want them to show whatever twisted nickname
the person's using - and, worse, wouldn't like to have the nicknames on the
headers of email I send.

2. Metacontacts' priority of accounts

I couldn't find a way to customize a metacontact's "priority of accounts"
(i.e. the IM system Kopete will use when I double-click on the metacontact).

---

Are there solutions for any of these problems? I apologize in advance if
these are not Kopete's fault, but I had no luck googling for solutions nor
reading the docs.

Thanks for your time,
André