List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Features request
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-06-11 9:19:08

Hi Mister E,

is for discussing ongoing development, but requests on the list are not
tracked and probably lost.

When reporting the items, use one request per item, and please check if no
similar request exists already. Also, please be a little more descriptive for
people who don't know Trillian :)

A few short notes on your items:

On Tuesday 10 June 2008 23:43:01 MisterE wrote:
> * global log per account (logs when people come online, go offline, changed
> nickname, etc)

Yes, I have seen it in my brother's Trillian, and indeed that's very useful to
have. One of the features I miss the most, and fairly easy to implement as
well. (Which doesn't mean we have the manpower to actually do this,
though ;) )

> * Save all old avatars of people

Interesting and also fairly easy to implement.

> * show a line where i last left the conversation

This one is not so easy and I don't know if the Adium chat styles that we use
allow this, but it's also a very useful feature, yes.

> * show in the "Chat Members List" the avatar(s) of the chat
> partner(s). Larger picture when hoovering on the name (like the main
> screen). Why is my own account in that list anyway?

I think there was a reason for listing the own account as well, and at the
very least it's the way IRC clients work too, but I'm not entirely sure about
the history of this.

Showing the avatars makes sense too, don't know how hard it is to write this.

> * "/me" to nickname conversion

We had that way back in the kopete 0.5 days and such, and it got removed
somewhen. Does anyone still remember why?

> * compatibly with the msn icons (or include the kmess icon set if it's
> copyrighted)

MSN icons are copyrighted, the kmess ones can be downloaded through kde-look
and Kopete's settings dialog, right?

As for including them with Kopete itself, they need to be maintained as well,
and the author must approve this, so it's not as easy as it seems. Plus, we
want to be selective in what we ship out of the box.

Last, emoticons are shared between KDE apps, they are not technically part of
Kopete. KMail for example uses them too, and any decision to ship other
themes is a kde-wide decision.

> * The default toolsbar of 0.12.7 are crowded and too many
> pointless icon options (save, print, cut, copy) but the Invite button is
> missing. 0.50.80 looks a lot better but also Invite is missing.

This one should be done in coordination with the usability team.

> I really would like to see a look like MSN Messenger with the "Format
> toolbar" and the "emoticons selector" above the text input field. But drag
> and dropping it there is not possible?

AFAIK that toolbar position violates the user interface design guidelines for
KDE. This needs some serious thought at any rate.

> * The "Add smiley" and "Invite" are inconsistent. After a click at the "add
> smiley" a popup appears. The "Inite" must be hold down to popup a screen.

This is a bug, not a feature request, please file it as such.

> * MPD "now playing" support

MPD?

--
Martijn