List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Setting up a environment to develop kopete
From:       Oleg Girko <ol+kde () infoserver ! ru>
Date:       2008-04-02 14:41:34

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Matt Rogers wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 April 2008 06:35:53 André Oriani wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >

> > I'm having some trouble to starting to developing for kopete. I am a
> > Fedora 8 user.  That distribution does not come with KDE4 yet (FC9 will).
> > Despite of that , they provide three packages ( and their respective
> > devel packages) to code for KDE4 : kdebase4,kdelibs4 and kdepimlibs. That
> > seems not be enough as it was pointed out by cmake. Has someone set up
> > Fedora 8 and could give some tips?
[skipped]

> I run Fedora 8. You won't want to use Fedora's packages, as tempting as it
> is. Why? Because developing Kopete in trunk against a 4.0.x will cause you
> problems and you will end up having to follow SVN trunk anyways. It's not
> because Fedora's packages are bad. :)
[skipped]

However, I still use KDE4.0 environment from Fedora 8 to build Kopete, and it
works. Actually, Kopete is the only program from kdenetwork which still
builds against KDE4.0 libraries. And it can change at any moment, because
nobody guarantees that no features from KDE4.1 absent in KDE4.0 will be used
in nearby future.

First, check out kdenetwork package from Subversion repository.
Then create build directory. Run cmake.

I use the following script to invoke cmake:

#!/bin/sh

INSTALL_PREFIX="$HOME/kde"

QTDIR=/usr/lib64/qt4 \
PATH=/usr/lib64/qt4/bin:$PATH \
cmake \
        -DLIB_SUFFIX=64 \
        -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug \
        -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="$INSTALL_PREFIX" \
        -DLIB_INSTALL_DIR="$INSTALL_PREFIX/lib64" \
        "$@"

This will build files installable to your "$HOME/kde" subdirectory.
(Please note that I have 64-bit Linux install.)

The cmake can complain that some crucial packages are missing. Install all
necessary RPM packages (don't forget that the development package names
usually have "-devel" suffix, like "soprano-devel"). The best way to install
missing packages is yum.

After all necessary packages installed, cmake will complain about just 2
optional packages missing: Decibel and Plasma. This means that you're ready
to build Kopete.

Just run the following command: "make -C kopete install"
Don't try to build other programs from kdenetwork. They will fail.

-- Oleg Girko, http://www.infoserver.ru/~ol/