List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [kopete-devel] KNewStuff2 port
From:       Dennis =?iso-8859-1?q?Nienh=FCser?= <earthwings () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2007-10-21 21:25:00

Hi all,

KNewStuff was in use for getting emoticons and chat window styles but has not
been ported to KNewStuff2 yet, leaving the "Get New..." buttons with no
functionality. There is some "KNewStuff2 polishing" going on this weekend
with some nice results for download progress indication so far, hopefully
some more bugs will be fixed as well and the installation status finished.

Kopete on KDE 3 used to subclass KNS. I changed it to use the new API and the
KNS2 way of integration which leaves mostly everything up to KNS2. A tighter
integration would be possible, but should wait for a more stable KNS2 (>4.0)
IMHO.

Anyway, here's how it currently works on my local box:
- kopete_styles.knsrc (in kde config dir) configures the chat window style
kns2. Usage of a .knsrc file is enforced by the new API.
- The KNS2 download dialog is opened upon clicking "Get New Styles" in the
Chat Window Configuration dialog.
- Installation of a style means downloading to share/apps/kopete/styles (KNS2
part) and installing the downloaded package via dbus-send

There are some issues, mainly due to unfinished KNS2 stuff:
- Little error reporting
- No sync between KNS2 and Kopete installation status
Question I'd like feedback on is whether we want to enable it for 4.0 even if
KNS2 is kind of half-finished. Personally I'd enable it. Obligatory
screenshot is at http://dev.gentoo.org/~earthwings/misc/kns1.png

Regards,
Dennis