List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] No Kopete in KDE 4.0
From:       Oleg Girko <ol () infoserver ! ru>
Date:       2007-08-10 13:57:39

On Friday 10 August 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On Friday 10 August 2007, Ben Aceler wrote:
> > I hope Kopete 0.12 will be able to work with KDE 4.0, isn't it?
>
> of course. i run kde3 apps in kde4 and vice versa all the time.

There was some discussion among Fedora package maintainers about shipping
Fedora 8 with both KDE3 and KDE4:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue89#head-51fa717561e1d1e16b73bec57324df489664b2fd

Quote:

  Kevin and DennisGilmore preferred[3] the idea of trucking ahead with the
  KDE4 plan but having a fallback to a usable KDE3. Discussion between Kevin
  and JeremyKatz revealed[4] that there were potential/probable conflicts (due
  to clashing sonames) in the -devel packages. Jeremy thought there was no way
  that KDE3 and KDE4 could be installed in parallel if what Kevin reported
  about upstream KDE were true.

So the question is, how do you solve the conflicting sonames problem?
Do you have development libraries just for KDE4?

-- Oleg Girko, http://www.infoserver.ru/~ol/