List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] dependency on kdepim?
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-07-24 8:55:26

On Tuesday 24 July 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> either way, i'd agree that kopete is certainly more of a pim app.

Ironically, way back in Nove Hrady we had the discussion about this, and we
decided Kopete was NOT a pim app. Part of the reason was that the PIM
integration was vapourware back then (Will and I did the first brainstorming
in the bus to Cesky Krumlov... good times).

Also, Kopete is somewhat comparable to Konversation and ksirc for many people
(who don't use the Kontact and address book integration), which was another
reason to put it in kdenetwork.

A last reason that I remember was that keeping Kopete in kdenetwork even with
the planned PIM stuff would be a good test case to keep the interface from
kdepim to the outside world sane. After all, an app in another svn module
would require public API to compile.

That said, Kopete's PIM features are still on the rise, and if I had to choose
sides these days I would move it to kdepim rather than kdenetwork.

I'm less convinced that we should move the thing ;) (but not opposed either).

--
Martijn

The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred.