List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Avatar stuff, Global Identity and so
From:       Gustavo Pichorim Boiko <gustavo.boiko () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2007-05-25 2:41:04

On Thursday 24 May 2007 18:29:12 Michaël Larouche wrote:
> Le May 24, 2007 13:14, Gustavo Pichorim Boiko a écrit  :
> > Hi
> >
> > I have seen a started work for avatar usage in Kopete, but from what I
> > see it is only used in the global identity for now (and it is not working
> > btw). I was wondering what are the plans for that, because if nobody is
> > going to work on this, I can try to do some things on this side.
> >
> > Also, is there any work on the global identity? I mean, ideas waiting to
> > be implemented, or even code already started?
> > I'm looking for things to do on the user interface and so on, so if
> > someone has ideas in mind and is needing help on implementing, please let
> > me know
> >
> > Cheers
>
> For Global Identity, I am waiting for mattr's branch
> "break-the-contact-list", i.e porting to Qt4 new Model/View framework. The
> global identity support need to be factored out of the Kopete::ContactList,
> it's really a hack and a mess right now (Remeber it was my first Kopete
> contribution...2 years ago :O)
>
> As for now, I have no new ideas for Global Identity.

How about the AvatarManager and so? I have seen it as a
started-but-not-finished work. Are you planning to work on that? Or do you
have some guidelines you want me to follow on widely implementing this on
kopere?

I have a suggestion: the async call for the Avatar dialog while interesting,
just add complexity IMHO.
Imagine writing a dialog (like the ones present in many kopete protocols) for
configuring the protocol options, and including the Avatar chooser. You would
need to implement a slot, connect to the avatar dialog, and when saving, you
would have to check if the avatar was already received, or if it is in
progress, and so on.
I personally am in favor of calls like KColorDialog::getColor(), or
KFileDialog::getSaveURL() that synchronally returns the value.

Is there any special reason for this dialog to be asynchronously called?

Besides that, I was thinking about porting all protocols to use this interface
on setting the avatar image. What do you think?

Cheers
--
Gustavo Pichorim Boiko