List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Glossyk 4: Default Discussion Theme?
From:       Michaël_Larouche <larouche () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-04-22 20:19:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Le April 21, 2007 09:37, Sébastien Laoût a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> First of all, thank you very much for Kopete.
> I couldn't think of using another Instant Messenger program anymore.
> At least because of your perfect notifications we get on new messages.
> Sound, blinking taskbar and the very helpful baloon popup helping not
> switching from an important work to a discussion, to discover that it's
> only a "lol" message ;-)
>
> The only thing that kept me for being completly happy with Kopete is a
> beautiful, simple and useful discussion theme.
>
> But thanks to your new HTML+CSS engine, I made one that fulfil all those
> criteras:
>
>   Glossyk 4  --  http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=40797
>
> It has the following features, all requiered for any theme, IMHO:
> - With or without the avatar side-bar
> - Full or compact message headings
> - Six well-balanced color choices
> - Supports non-rectangular avatar icons
> - Supports transparent avatar icons
> - Copy discussions as text without any glitch
> - Time stamp with date in the tooltip
> - Supports Right to Left languages
> - It is Open Source: it includes SVG image sources, with clean, commented
> HTML and CSS for designers to base theire theme on (with a script to
>   auto-generate all the variant combinations)
>
> I'd like to propose you to include the theme by default on Kopete.
>
> - It has a strong and unique identity (not a ripped out theme from eg.
> Adium, nor a copy of eg. Live Messenger), very important for Kopete to
> stand out as a unique and important Instant Messenger.
> - A good usability: time with date in non-obtrusive ways, and more
> important, a copy discussions as text without any glitch, a must have.
>   The avatar-bar is also on the left because if it were on the right, the
>   scrollbar would not appear connected to the discussion area and would
> seem broken.
>   It also offer all informations people would need, presented in a good
> way. - It ships with a good choice of configurations (avatar bar, compact
> view) and of colors (all beautiful enough, and varied enough for all
> tastes). Those two criteria are important for a default theme, so people do
> not need to browse and install new themes).
> - It has a good rating and download number on kde-look.org
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> PS: I'm not registered on the mailing-list, please CC me while replying.
>
> Best regards,
> Sébastien Laoût.

I'm not sure I will make Glossyk the default theme for Kopete 1.0 but I agree
to distribute it along Kopete by default.

Give me the latest version of Glossky and I will upload it into SVN.

As for the default Kopete. I'm sure our Oxygen artist Johann Olliver-Laperye
will come with something when he will have time. In fact, he is the one who
suggested me to implement Adium theme in the first place :)
--
Michaël Larouche
KDE developer working on Kopete, Gamefu(KDE), Solid...on dial-up :P