List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [kopete-devel] Plugin idea
From:       "Mihai Balan" <mihai.balan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-04-14 10:03:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello!
My name is Mihai Balan and I'm a student in my 3rd year of computer science
at the "Politehnica" University of Bucharest. I have applied to this year's
Google Summer of Code ( http://code.google.com/soc ) with an idea for
SIP-Communicator, that is, implementing RSS feeds support in the client. I
haven't been accepted, but I still consider it a good idea, and would like
to see it implemented in Kopete (as it seems that SIP will have it done
sooner or later :) ). I'm willing to give it a go, but I would really
appreciate yout feedback on the idea. (Do you thinks it's a viable idea? Do
you consider it outside the scope of Kopete? etc).

In a few words, here how I see it should work: the plugins offers a way to
add RSS feeds to the contact list. These feeds are presented as permanently
online contacts. Once every _n_ minutes (configurable amount of time), the
feeds are checked for updates and/or new items. If new items are found, a
message window from the respective "contact" pops up with the content of the
new item. One could also be able to explicitly request checking for updates.
Another feature that could be really nice would be the ability to send a
HTTP POST response by simply typing a reply in the message window. That
could be useful in the case of blogs RSS feeds where such responses could be
used to post comments on the original post.

For more details, my application - containing more technical & GSoC oriented
details (some of them pertaining strictly to SIP Communicator) - is
available at http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgn4pwr_47crh3b4

Thank you for your time,
Best of wishes,
Mihai B.

PS: Does Kopete have a IRC channel I could lurk on? :p (I've seen IRC
nicknames on the contact page but no IRC channel/server address)