List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Kopete and MSN
From:       Matt Rogers <mattr () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-04-06 1:27:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 02 April 2007 11:34, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Monday 02 April 2007 07:14, Marc's Technical Pages wrote:
> > Gentlemen (and not to forget Ladies if any present),
> >
> > Kopete looks wonderful, and is certainly very neat indeed. I've seen
> > it in operation on another system, but this was using an MSN/Hotmail
> > email address.
> >
> > It has never functioned with MSN on my system. Yahoo fine. I use a non
> > MSN/Hotmail address (md.r@talk21.com to be accurate) and is my .Net
> > passport and is fully validated.
>
> I just signed on with my non-hotmail passport and it works just fine. I did
> this with Kopete 0.12.3 and Kopete 0.12.4 should work as well since there
> are next to zero changes to MSN since 0.12.3 (only icons and a change to
> the webcam stuff, which should not affect the functionality)
>
> > Have just loaded aMSN and it's working perfectly (but is UGH with it's
> > look! - man they could have made it look prettier!). Have recently
> > broken this Linux box, so am now on a fresh install and fully
> > upgraded to KDE3.6.5 and Kopete 0.12.4
> >
> > I did open a bug and (felt as if) got shot down in flames blaming
> > Microsoft servers and that Kopete fine.
>
> Probably because it more than likely is a problem with Microsoft's servers
> and not Kopete. MSN is somewhat famous for being notoriously unreliable.
>
> > What do I need to do to get your program to function?
>
> Please try again. It does work.
>
> > Please note that I am not unfamiliar with computers; Come from a solid
> > DOS background; I used to write machine code; Have been with Linux
> > for about 4 months now; But this does mean I do still need the odd
> > spoonfeed with getting results. So please be specific with
> > instructions. Have Wireshark installed for network capturing if
> > required.
> >
> > In anticipation.....
>
> Attempting to log in should be all you need to do. If it still doesn't work
> after a few hours or so, then we'll need to compare the network captures
> from aMSN and Kopete and see where they differ.

Ok, for reference later in life, Marc's problem was that he had disabled
SSLv2, SSLv3, and TLS from the Konqueror control panel, so that was what was
keeping him from connecting to MSN. After replacing his
$KDEHOME/share/config/cryptodefaults with one from a default KDE
installation, things started working again.
--
Matt