List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [kopete-devel] OTR Plugin
From:       Michael Zanetti <michael_zanetti () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-04-05 8:49:24

Hi!

Probably you noticed that a few days ago I released version 0.2 of the OTR
Plugin. I think its now in a state where it has all the features that an OTR
Plugin would need. There are still some bugs that I have to fix and smaller
improvements (such as verifying fingerprints from the chatsession window).
And while generating the private I really have to do something to let the
user know that there is still activity. I tried to make a new thread that
shows a popup with an animation. This doesn't work because even the GUI of
the new thread is drawn to slow. For example, I can see the popup with the
progress bar moving but the text on the popup is drawn when the generation of
the key is finished. Just a tick before the popup isn't needed any more... I
even tried to give the new thread a higher priority. Doesn't help. The next
thing I tried is to put the generation of the key into the separate thread
and create the popup in the main thread. But this seems to make no
difference.
Does anyone have an idea how to create for example a KPassivePopup where the
GUI is drawn well, even if the rest of the application hangs?

The next thing is OTR + Jabber - SSL + Adium:
OTR conversions to Adium work fine except if you are using Jabber without SSL
encryption. I noticed that while talking with jabber (no OTR) to other
clients the other side sees empty newlines before and after the message. This
prevents adium to recognize the "OTR:" tag at the beginning of the message. I
noticed also that this behaviour does NOT apply if you encrypt the
Jabbersession with SSL.
So for me this seems to be a problem in the Jabber-protocol-plugin. Please
correct me if I'm wrong. I did not have enough time to look into
jabber-plugin. I just wanted to ask If this is a known issue and if there is
already any work in progress about this.

And last but not least: Thank you all for your great support. Feel free to
drop me any comments/bug reports about this plugin.

Michael