List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Core/GUI Split in libkopete
From:       Will Stephenson <wstephenson () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-03-19 18:06:56

On Monday 19 March 2007, Martijn Klingens said:
> On Monday 19 March 2007 16:17, Will Stephenson wrote:
> > It's flexible.  Protocols (in Decibel terms, Connection Managers) are
> > registered to Decibel with a .service file.  A CM is started on demand
> > using dbus activation.  If a CM for the required protocol is already
> > active, it will get the createConnection() dbus call.  Thus you can have
> > process per account, process per protocol, or bundle all your accounts
> > and protocols into one daemon, if keeping the process count down is more
> > important to you than crash isolation.
>
> Well, keeping the amount of IPC down seems an important performance (and
> security?) consideration as well.

Security: blah - if you can't trust local dbus nowadays, you're screwed
Performance: it is designed with performance in mind - the nokia N tablets are
using this and so is OLPC.

> Plus, this is a hell of a lot of work to do, and it's not like we have a
> lot of manpower.

Yes, but we have extra manpower already - Tobias Hunger has already written
much of the Decibel daemon that can replace the core logic in libkopete, and
using Telepathy buys us connection managers that give us SIP, for example.

> Having said that, when done right, and in due time, I'm much in favour of
> it. But as I see it we have more urgent goals for now and should see this
> more as a long-term roadmap to work towards and to only consider at present
> time when designing new stuff, but not spend much time on changing existing
> code yet.

I agree, since Akonadi is not ready.

My short term goal in this area is to get Michael's Telepathy plugin mature,
talking to Decibel and able to present multiple Telepathy accounts as
completely as native protocols.

Will