List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] About v4l
From:       Taupter <taupter () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-27 18:02:38

Em Qui 01 Set 2005, Aleix escreveu:
> Hello Claudio Pinheiro,
> I've looked at the Kopete implementation of v4l (which I think was made by
> you) and I would be interested to help you with it. I'd like to know to
> which is the real state and how I could help exactly.
> If you don't want/need help I'll understand :P.
>
> Greetings,
> Aleix Pol

Hi.

Thanks for offering help. I'd really like to have some. ;)
Right now we're lacking support for tuners and uvc devices, as ieee1394 ones.
Support for rescaling non-standard video resolutions is needed too.
Currently an overhaul of the video API is being done. You can find the code
at:

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/kopete/avdevice_overhaul/

Go check that code. Current development in 3.x series happens there.
We're planning to phase out V4L-only devices, migrating completely to V4L2
(already supported). The main trigger to do this is the completion of Michael
Xhaard's gspca2 (video driver supporting about 220 webcams).
Currently we lack proper documentation of videodevice api's goals, so it would
be nice if we could elaborate some so we can track what's done, what's not,
and where we want to go.
There's the issue of KDE4 too, where that code will reincarnate in some
fashion inside Solid.
I'm cc'ing your my answer to kopete-devel mailing list, so other people can be
aware of your intent. ;) We'd like to have you subscribed to the list so we
can communicate in a more meaningful and traceable way.
You can stay in touch with us directly using IRC, server irc.kde.org or
another freenode server, channel #kopete. My nick is taupter. I stay around
everyday between 08:00am to 23:00pm BRT (GMT-3), excluding some pauses for
lunch, dinner and bringing kids to/from school and the occasional cigar. Step
in and type

"taupter: I there"

so my 'puter will scream somebody's asking my attention in IRC and I'll answer
asap.

Best regards,

Cláudio Pinheiro