List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] RFC:  Kopete 0.12.1
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2006-06-08 21:21:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Olivier Goffart wrote:
>You accept to backport all feature one by one, but not the whole Kopete
> ? backporting kopete as a whole will be infinitively more easy.

Indeed it would, which is precisely the problem.

Lots of problems could be overlooked because it's one big patch. Besides,
if it's one single commit, it would need to be someone outside of Kopete
to review it, since everyone in Kopete had a hand in that big patch.

You'll be hard pressed to find someone to review it.

>Also, by backporting only few feature, we risk to backport code that
> rely on others code that have not been backported, and introduce bugd

Which is why backporting the entire thing is dangerous, since we don't
know what relies on what, and what could be more broken now than in 0.11.

>> But adding 0.12 to it is not acceptable. Who is going to review ALL
>> changes, to make sure they are Ok? Remember it must be someone
>> different from the person who wrote the code in the first place.
>
>good point.
>but there is always solution, we are enough developper to review
> eachothers code.

So you're proposing individual patches. I'm fine with that.

But this must be truly reviewing, not just a formality. The rules are
there to ensure quality, not to hinder development.

If you think it would be a waste of time to follow them, then don't and
advise kde-core-devel of the issue. You know my position, but I of course
do not speak for everyone involved.

I'd much rather that the bugfixes were backported to 0.11, that KDE 3.5.4
included 0.11 and that a separate 0.12.1 release were made. Distributors
who still haven't figured out how to make separate packages deserve to
get problems anyways (IMO).

>>  This is not the first time packagers have had to deal with this
>> issue: Kopete releases standalone versions from time to time. It has
>> happened before and it may happen again. They should have learnt by
>> now.
>
>This is the first time it is a standalone package only.

0.10.2 was a standalone package only.

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway