List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] [RFC] moving out of kdenetwork into our own
From:       Taupter <taupter () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-04-19 20:50:31

Em Quarta 19 Abril 2006 14:22, Thiago Macieira escreveu:
> Matt Rogers wrote:
> >> I don't like being in kdeextragear because:
> >>  a - Users don't beleive it is a part of the core kde application.
>
> That's a misconception. And given the possibility of restructuring for
> KDE4, extragear may gain more importance.

Unlikely.
The misconception made by the "extra" in extragear is like a curse. :) Just as
an example, KdeTV is far better than zapping, tvtime and xawtv. Despite this
fact people often use one of these three non-kde apps because KdeTV doesn't
get the visibility it deserves. Be it on kdemultimedia instead of extragear,
people would be driven to it. People still use xmms and Totem(!) to handle
their music collections instead of amarok because kdemultimedia-noatun
doesn't do the job the way they like and amarok is not in kdemultimedia.

> >>  c - We have to take care about our own schedule.
> >>
> >> But kdeextragear is nice because
> >>  d - We can release more often.
>
> (c) and (d) are contradictory. You cannot dislike something and find it
> nice at the same time.

This is a non-issue. But let's take another example: Kaffeine. It currently is
at 0.8.1 version, but I dunno why distros still default tol 0.7.1. Maybe
because it's in extragear. If it was in kdemultimedia maybe things would be
different.
I just want to see the same thing happening to Kopete.

> >>  e - User can upgrade only Kopete without upgrade the whole KDE (at
> >> least kdelibs+kdenetwork)

Users eat mostly what their distros feed to them.

> You don't have to be in extragear to do that. In fact, Kopete *should*
> create tags out of KDE/kdenetwork too.
>
> >> Also I don't think it is justified to have kopete as a "module"
> Nor do I. We're looking into making modules more modular, so there's no
> reason to create an entire new module for a single app, however big it
> is.

Nor I do too.

> >there are more than 235,000 lines of code in kopete. We have our own
> > library, application, and plugins. IMO, that's plenty of justification.

IMHO it doesn't justify. The question is not sheer size, but how things should
be logically grouped. A cello and a vionin differ in size, but they both
belong to the "strings" in an orchestra. The oboe and the piccolo belong to
the "woods". ftp/sftp/webdav/torrent kioslaves belong in a group and instant
messengers (Kopete), not-so-instant messengers (Kontact/Kmail) and adreess
books belong to another group.

> Yes, kopete is probably larger than kdetoys, kdeutils and kdesdk combined,
> but it's still one single application.

Ok. About Kdevelop. It has its own module. So what? Maybe it should be in
kdesdk and by mistake/whatever it is in its own module. In this case
kdeveloper's position doesn't mean we should do the same. Remember the
lemmings. :)

Cláudio Pinheiro (taupter)