List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Google soc 2006
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-04-17 14:40:06

On Sunday 16 April 2006 15:54, Matt Rogers wrote:
> I don't have any ideas, but I'll mentor anyone who has an idea.

What would rock is a combined KOffice-Kopete project regarding Track Changes.
KOffice doesn't have that feature yet, and it would be very cool to have it
implemented such that it is able to (optionally) embed address book data in
the document for each author.

That would allow other authors who are reviewing changes to instantly contact
their co-authors by IM from KOffice. KOffice could even pass the context
information of a change, so the authors don't have to explain what it's all
about.

Not only would this bring innovation to the Track Changes feature and improve
productivity, it's also something that almost no other software team in the
world can deliver -- KDE is one of the few parties that can offer integration
between messaging, address book and office suites.

Downside for SoC 2006 is that this is a *huge* feature that is likely to be
way too ambitious for a SoC project. Perhaps it can be split into chunks that
are manageable within SoC though.

--
Martijn