List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [kopete-devel] metacontact popup oddities
From:       Conrad Hoffmann <conrausch () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-04-13 15:26:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

hey folks!

I have a question i hope someone can help me with:

i am trying to trigger a metacontact context menu from within a plugin. it
works well. before i do so, i select the desired metacontact with:

Kopete::ContactList::self()->setSelectedItems( contacts, groups );

I set the selection to 1 metacontact and 0 groups, and the functions debug
output tells me it worked.
I then open the context menu, which also works well.

but, here is the cut: all menu items ( plugin ones like history/gpg, the start
chat ones, groups, etc. ) work as expected, except one: the properties item.
That one always opens the properties dialog for whatever item is really (like
visually) selected in the contact list (the ListView). Unfotunately, i think
that this is one of the most important item to work correctly (for my
plugin).
A look into the code tells me that that item and also the properties dialog
operate on KopeteMetaContactLVI rather than MetaContact, and thus retrieves
the "target" directly from the listview instead from the ContactList
selection.
I guess no plugin has tried that before, but i think it would be a good thing
to make the properties menu accessible by plugins.
Unfortunately, all that GUI code is rather complex. My first guess would maybe
be to actually select the LVIs in ContactList::setSelection(), but i am not
sure if it's possible.
The other option would probably be to make the Properties dialog operate on
MetaContacts and then have it emit some signal to the ListView to
reload/redraw, but that seems to involve much more coding.
I am willing to dive into the code and do something about it, but the
expertise of someone who is a little more into these things would be great!

thanks for any help!!!
conrausch
--
conrausch@gmx.de
http://conrausch.doesntexist.org

# support cryptography! public key:
http://elise.no-ip.com/ch.gmx.asc

I have a hobby.  I have the world's largest collection of sea shells.  I keep
it scattered on beaches all over the world.  Maybe you've seen some of it.
		-- Steven Wright