List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [kopete-devel] [RFC] It is time to change the "Kopete" name.
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-04-01 6:50:47

Hello.

For marketing purpose, we must change the Kopete project name before the
Kopete 0.12 release.
This will solve problems of packaging because Kopete is in kdenetwork.

Several other well-known project have already changed their name:
gnome-meeting has been renamed eKiga (the old name was too meaningfull) ;
digikam was renamed KPhotoAlbum (the old name was not meaningfull enough) ;
and  XFree86 is now called Xorg

I think Konversation would be a nice new name. But it seems another project
already use that name.
So what do you think about "KDE Messenger" and put our website on
http://messenger.kde.org
Or maybe "Kaim" (because we are always compared to Gaim) ,
"KChatProgram" (more meaningfull, for newbies) or "Gof's Messenger" (in my
modest honour) or maybe simply rename it to "Kopete"

But you probably have better idea for the name. I'm waiting your suggestions.

Note: Probably the "KDE" name should also be changed for his fourth version

Enjoy
--
Gof