List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Some Kopete issues
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-06 17:25:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Le Dimanche 6 Novembre 2005 16:09, Frederik Himpe a écrit :
> On Sunday 06 November 2005 15:44, David Laban wrote:

> > The default in KDE is to have icons only with no text. I think there was
> > a thread on kde-usability about icons in toolbars a while back. Since
> > Kopete is the KDE IM client; If we want to have a unified KDE desktop, I
> > reckon the current style is a sensible default.
>
> Yeah, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Still I do not agree.
> It's fine for applications with common toolbar icons like in kwrite,
> koffice and so on.

In the current KDE4, the default is big icon, and text for all application,
this is just there for testing, and to see if we can go like that.

> But Kopete should be an exception here, because:
> - The icons are completely different from what users know from other
> applications, so it's not possible to just see their meaning based on the
> small icon

I'm not sure.  others application like kmail reply, reply to all, fetch,
spam, ...  are not used in others application neither.

> - There are only three or four icons in the toolbar. So the window does not
> become too cluttered by the toolbar text.
> - The extra "wasted" space by the text, is not a real problem in a chat
> contact list. It's not like in a web browser or a word processing
> application where more space counts.

I disagree.
The more we can see contact, the better it is.