List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Proposal: Global display name changing as a plugin
From:       Michaël Larouche <kuramadoushi.shock () globetrotter ! net>
Date:       2005-05-14 15:34:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Olivier Goffart wrote:

>> First, please call "NickName" instead of "DisplayName" to avoid
>> some confusion we had in the past. The nickname is the name you
>> set, and that your contact may see.

no problem. MSN account use "displayName" so I got confused ^_^

>> Well, this probably should not be in a plugin, but included in
>> kopete. I imagine this as an "Identity" page in the config dialog,
>> where you can set your nickname, your display picture, and some
>> others personal settings globally. I've heard people which want
>> different nick/photos in different account. so account settings
>> could override it.

Nice idea  :)

>> On what criterias do you exclude some protocols ? (like IRC)

It was maintly because the length of IRC nickname is about 9-15, and
other protocols support longer nickname.
But with your suggestion of account override, it's not required
anymore to exclude IRC.

>> well, call it Account::setNickName(const QString&)
>>
>> By adding virtual member, we break binary compatibility. But as we
>> are not yet in the 1.0 version, i see no point to keep it.

If binary compatibility is not a problem, then go for it  :)