List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Proposal: Global display name changing as a plugin
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-14 15:04:44

Le Samedi 14 Mai 2005 17:17, Michaël Larouche a écrit  :
> Last week, I was thinking about a plugin that could me useful for people
> using multiples accounts.
>
> For my part, I have one MSN account and two Jabber and I want my display
> name to be the same for all protocols. But it's require me going to each
> account and change the display name.

First, please call "NickName"  instead of "DisplayName"  to avoid some
confusion we had in the past.
The nickname is the name you set, and that your contact may see.

Well, this probably should not be in a plugin, but included in kopete.
I imagine this as an "Identity" page in the config dialog, where you can set
your nickname,  your display picture, and some others personal settings
globally.
I've heard people which want different nick/photos in different account. so
account settings could override it.

> The plugin will consist to add a menu entry called "Change Display Name
> Globally". This menu entry will ask for a new display name and change it
> in all protocol that is logical to do so(i.e excluding IRC protocol for
> example).

On what criterias do you exclude some protocols ? (like IRC)

> However, it would require a public method implemented for each derived
> class of Kopete::Account, and only MSN protocol has a method "void
> changeDisplayName()". If all protocols would implement a common public
> method to change display name, the code to change the display name would
> be simple as this:

well,  call it Account::setNickName(const QString&)

By adding virtual member, we break binary compatibility.
But as we are not yet in the 1.0 version, i see no point to keep it.