List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Skype plugin
From:       "Michal Vaner \(Vorner\)" <vorner () atlas ! cz>
Date:       2005-05-09 5:15:16

On Monday 09 of May 2005 00:09, Gustavo Barbieri wrote:
> Great, I cannot test it ATM, but I have some questions:
>
>  - will it integrate with arts? Skype itself does a horrible job and
> things like saving session is not great if you have to launch it using
> artsdsp :-(   (This is a pain to setup for my father, have him to kill
> the session-launched skype to have a working app).

Well, this will be a problem. As the protocol itself is not public and it is
encrypted, I can not experiment with the protocol, the only way is to use
running instance of Skype. But Kopete will be able to start it when it is not
running by a specified command. And if you disable Skype in session
management, it will be started the right way.

I think I will write some kind of note in the setup dialog so user will
notice. In the long term, I hope to be able to do it by a click on a button
in the Edit account dialog.

>  - will it integrate the skype search?

The API allows a simple search, but it does not allow adding users. Therefore,
I can integrate a search, but I do not think it is a primary goal, because
such a search is of no use, you have to go to Skype anyway.

As you see, I can hardly do something that is not allowed by Skype itself or
is not accessible by the API. I already talked to some people for Skype about
pictures of people, which is not possible at the moment, for example.

>On Sunday 08 May 2005 07:09 pm, Gustavo Barbieri wrote:
>> Great, I cannot test it ATM, but I have some questions:
>>
>>  - will it integrate with arts? Skype itself does a horrible job and
>> things like saving session is not great if you have to launch it using
>> artsdsp :-(:-(   (This is a pain to setup for my father, have him to kill
>> the session-launched skype to have a working app).
>>

>i don't think that's a concern at this point, AFAIK, it doesn't even send
>voice, just text.

This is just development version and voice will be supported. But the question
was, if it WILL do, where I will do my best to help users. At last the by the
possibility of launching it the right way.

--

Windows are like... windows. Shiny, fragile, expensive.

Vorner