List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Kopete website being closed for patent infringement
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-13 10:55:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Will Stephenson wrote:
>On Wednesday 13 Apr 2005 10:42, Ingrid Marson wrote:
><snip>
>
>I've sent the following holding statement to Ingrid:
[snip]

I've seen that reaction quite often. And while that's what the intention
is, I've got to ask that the wording be reconsidered for the start page.
The site has not been closed down and there have been no patent
infringements (we're not lawyers, we can't know), so the wording is
misleading.

One suggestion: before the "But not all is lost yet [...]" paragraph, add
a line saying "This could be true in a year's time" or something to that
effect.

If you carefully read the MPlayer page, which is what I often quote, they
in no way say they have *been* closed, but that they could be.

Also, to explicitly state that we are infringing upon patents is a serious
liability. Imagine we get named in a patent lawsuit and they say, "your
site states you have infringed upon patents. Put forth with specificity
all your research into this."
Please make the wording crystal clear that we have no way of knowing if we
actually are and that is the whole problem with patents: it's unclear, it
costs money to check, and it is no way definitive, etc.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cweað "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.