List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] How do I read a contact's Away message in 0.10?
From:       "Malte S. Stretz" <msquadrat.nospamplease () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-03-09 21:22:09

On Monday 07 March 2005 21:49 CET Will Stephenson wrote:
> On Monday 07 Mar 2005 19:09, Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> > Hmmm... you meant Configure Kopete->Appearance->Contact List->Change
> > Tooltip Contents? :)  Yeah, I finally found it again, didn't notice
> > that button down there.  I already added the message there in 0.9 I
> > think but it still doesn't display anything.
>
> There's an 'Auto reply Message' as well as an Away Message.  Away Message
> works for me, at least with Jabber

I can't see any option to add the Auto Reply Message to the tooltip, so I
guess I already have the Away Message which is not shown.

> > > They can also be in the contact list if you choose the Detailed with
> > > Photos contact list mode.
> >
> > Ah!  Those completely oversized smileys are placeholders for photos?
> > Cool :)  If now just anybody in my contact list had a photo set.  You
> > don't know if there's any way to set your own photo for ICQ with
> > Kopete?
>
> You can also associate contacts with address book entries (File->Export
> Contacts to do them all at once) and then it will show the photo from the
> KDE Address Book.  For example the kopete dev team has a shared
> addressbook resource which already has all our photos and IM addresses,
> which is accessed as a network addressbook over the web.

Cool!

> > Yeah, at least ICQ had such a option.  I think Jabber, too, but I'm not
> > sure.  With ICQ it had the advantage that the dialog also had a button
> > "Fetch again" which was often useful as Kopete has (had?) sometimes
> > problems updating the message.
>
> We are hoping that is 'had' because the ICQ plugin has been rewritten
> from scratch by Matt.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem so.  I checked the last days and haven't ever
seen an Away Message from ICQ.  For AIM they work, but not for ICQ.  (And
those people do have an Away Message set, I checked it with Gaim and
Miranda.)

The same is true for the removed Fetch Now button in the User Info dialog.
Apart from the fact that the ICQ info dialog is editable (already filed a
bug about it), does ICQ still have a hard time populating/updating the
dialog.  In 0.9 I was able to press the Fetch Now button to get the info,
but that one is gone now.

> > An explicit option to show the away message, at least in the edit (?)
> > menu, would be nice anyway as the tooltip is sometimes a bit clumsy.
>
> Ok, maybe in the edit menu - we are trying to slim down the context menus

I like uncluttered context menus :)

> > Hm... I think all information available via the tooltip should be
> > available somewhere else (read: somewhere for which you don't need the
> > mouse to access it), also the additional information which is not shown
> > in the tooltip but generally available.  Maybe the contact's property
> > dialog would be a good place, just like for files?
>
> Could be doable.
>
> > Does the latter make sense and shall I file a wish or would it be
> > closed immediately anyway? :)
>
> Please file a wishlist if you do want it.

Will do.

Cheers,
Malte

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
      <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>