List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Adium_JS
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2005-02-18 12:25:50

On Friday 18 February 2005 5:02 am, Will Stephenson wrote:
> I may be a big fraidy cat, but this looks like this is potentially a bigger
> security risk than can be dismissed with "we escape the tags" - is our tag
> escaping code bulletproof?

It doesn't matter much from my viewpoint - assuming our escaping doe snot work
at all and they cna send raw scripting event s- the absolute worstt hey coudl
do to yoru PC is clear the chat window using document.body.innerHTML = "".
Even then it would come back if you refreshed the style...

You can't do very much with JavaScript. I thas no file I/O, no off-site
network I/O *by that I mean if you create an XMLHttpRequest, it cannot send r
recieve data to any machine other than the domain of the script - in this
case, localhost).

So maybe, they could read a file in your ~/ and print it out into your chat -
but no one else, including the scripter, could see it, so why would he
bother?

--
If you wait by the river long enough, eventually
you will see the bodies of all your enemies float by.