List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] saving photo to disk on each message
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-17 21:29:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Le Jeudi 17 Février 2005 21:42, Jason Keirstead a écrit :
> On Thursday 17 February 2005 4:31 pm, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > In my case, most photo are from MSN, and then are on the disk.
>
> Yes, but this is not the majority I don't think. Anyone who has photos from
> anywhere else have them stored inside the VCard, because this is where they
> are stored if you set the photo using KAddressbook itself.

The majority is lazy.  I'm lazy.
I only get photo from MSN because it's automatic.

> > Per contact * messages.
> >
> > the KTempFile isn't afaik shared between messages.
>
> With my proposal.. it would need to be only one  photo / contact, unless
> the contact's photo changed in the middle of the chat

no, because the KTempFile is created each time you go in Message::asXML  i.e
once per message.

> > I would say that the chat window show the contact, in case the contact
> > change his photo, the photo should be updated in the whole chat window.
>
> That isn't what other IM clients do.. the photo in the chat is the photo at
> the time the message was sent.

Remember if the photo is from the address book, you set yourself the photo,
you expect if changing the photo the photo be updated immediatly.
I've seen a bug report that say the problem with kmail (changing the photo
from kabc doesn't change it imediatly

> > 2) the metaContact::photo()  should return something like a KABC::Picture
> > which could return both a QString or a QImage.    one could add in this
> > Kopete::Picture class a function to convert to a QString, or a QImage.
> >      - It require some change in Kopete which is probably not good now
> >     + It's the IMO the best way to do.
>
> Fine, we could add this class and do this, but I don't think it is woth it.
> The only case it will change is MSN, and it will only save a few KB at
> most.

it's not the hard disk space i fear,  it's the performance.