List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] saving photo to disk on each message
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () tiscalinet ! be>
Date:       2005-02-17 18:38:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Le Jeudi 17 Février 2005 19:17, Jason Keirstead a écrit :
> On Thursday 17 February 2005 1:10 pm, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > 1) You same the photo to another location while it's generally already in
> > the disk, on each message, for each contact.
>
> Its a KTempFile.. they will have unique names.

??!?

the photo is already on the disk, but you still copy it.

for each message, because KTempFile use randomly generated number.

> > 2) the file seems to be removed when the message is freed. so for the
> > adium style, that might fail.
>
> The message is not freed until after the message is rendered. It will work
> with all other styles, but yes, not Adium.

I've just tested the ichat style, and it doesn't work.
Maybe for another reason, but i just see facts.

(i don't see the image, just the "unknwon file" icon

> > the solution is to use the contact's photo property.  which is not the
> > KABC photo,  which only works with MSN,  which is a string to the
> > location of the image.  and which will works.
>
> Key here is 'only works with MSN'. No good, at all.

The CPU + hard disk consumption it will take, specially on irc channel if you
have several contact with a photo is not neglectible IMO.

> And even then, the MSN  one would be wrong with Adium.
> Because if you change your photo, the next  time the chat re-draws it will
> replace all the photos aside the old messages with the new one, which is
> inaccurate - that was not your photo when you sent that message.

Better to have it display a wrong photo in rare case than display a broken
image always.

And btw, the fact the image is not the good one is rally a detail that i don't
care about.

> The only proper way to do it is to store the message-specific MC's photo.

it's too complex, better to don't have that.

> Now, ideally, what we want to do is not delete these temporary photos
> fingerprinted per-message until the chat session is terminated. But,
> Kopete::Message is not a QObject, so I could not figure out an easy way to
> do that, without massive code changes which are not a good idea before 3.4.
> So I think this is best for now - it will not work in Adium, but it will
> work in iChat and all other styles.

I would like you to use the photo property anyway.
at least for kde 3.4