List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Re: Proposal for contact dragging
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-01-11 17:14:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 07:23, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 January 2005 10:09 am, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > > Why not Shift + Left Mouse Button?
> > >
> > > (Using the 3rd/middle mouse button for another purpose than X11 Copy is
> > > rather unsual to me. People are not used to use that mouse button for
> > > such a action. Compare to the move/copy/link actions in konqueror.)
>
> Well, then KTabWidget should be changed as well :)
>
> The reason I suggested the middle mouse button is because that action
> (using the middle mouse button to move an object by dragging ) is already
> in use in KDE, and I think Kopete should use whatever KDE is using rather
> than invent it's own shortcuts / mouse gestures.

middle mouse for dragging is not standard behaviour. left mouse always drags.
KTabWidget breaks this behaviour because left mouse drags the contents of the
tab, as expected.

all that's really needed here is a confirmation dialog that you wish to move
the contact. the user gets one when they move the last contact out of a
metacontact, so i see no reason why they shouldn't get one every time.

clicking "Do not show again" is a way around this for those who are sure of
their dragging skills ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo