List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Re: Bug 84638
From:       Joff Lee <ffoj () flashgranny ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-07-26 12:13:56

On Monday 26 July 2004 12:24, Till Gerken wrote:
> On Monday 26 July 2004 13.12, Richard Smith wrote:
> > OK, so tell me this: when you expand a metacontact, should the contact
> > icons disappear from beside the MC?
> >
> > If they do, this will surprise the user ("where did my icons go?")
> > If they don't, this will surprise the user ("what's the difference
> > between these icons and these list items?")
>
> I imagine it like this: we either have a small "+" next to the meta contact
> name that changes the display of one contact to expanded (icons disappear
> and subcontacts appear with their respective protocol icons next to them)
> or that the view is automatically changed when the user hovers the mouse,
> similar to the tooltip behaviour.

Personally, I think this would be a fantastic idea! I've only posted on this
list a couple of times, but this thread holds the key that would IMHO make
Kopete so much better (for me, anyway!)

I know a lot of people with lots of accounts on the same protocol - one of my
friends has 7 accounts on Yahoo and depending on how she's feeling determines
what account she uses (ok, she is weird, granted)

I also have lots of friends who use MSN, and for some of them, their name
changes almost as often as they speak to me.

As soon as I create a meta contact and add several accounts to it, I loose the
ability to see their name, other than the display name that I've given them.

With the proposed changes, when a meta contact is expanded, I would be able to
see the individual names for each account under that meta contact.

I know that ATM I can mouse over the contact to see what the individual
account names are, but for me, that's a little annoying - it's one extra step
i need to take before getting the information i want.

People who dont want this functionality could just not click the [+] sign!
This simply follows the basic intuitive design that we're used to - in Konq,
you expand a folder to see sub folders etc, same with kmail or even the DOM -
nodes, parents and children!

Interested to see how this thread develops....

Regards,
Joff