List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [kopete-devel] Re: FAQ: How to make new add contact/edit account
From:       Matt Rogers <matt.rogers () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-07-10 15:34:15

On Saturday 10 July 2004 09:54 am, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> On Saturday 10 July 2004 06:15, Will Stephenson wrote:
> > What does my post have to do with you?
>
> The fact that I asked the question, and you refused to answer until I
> posted the question to the list, then finally later said "question answered
> on the list", perhaps?  This post would not have been posted if it weren't
> for me (but you couldn't be bothered to just answer me in the first place).

And you couldn't do what he asked you to. Just because a developer is on IRC
doesn't mean we're actively paying attention or are even looking at our IRC
client. I run mine in screen on my server, so even though i'm on 24/7, i'm
there perhaps half the time. Simply put, we just don't always have time to
answer questions on IRC, so we have to defer you to the list.

> > It's an answer to a valid pitfall faced by all plugin authors and since
> > we are trying to document more and lower the barrier to entry, I posted
> > it to the list pending adding it to our wiki.
>
> That's why I critiqued it.  I never had a problem with it going to a wiki,
> I had a problem with spamming the developers on this list with such trivial
> questions, and with you trying to force me to post it to the list before
> you would answer (and then posting it anyways when I didn't, WITHOUT
> answering me at all).

There is no such thing as a trivial question. If you have a question, post it
to the list. Please. More people will see it, and your more likely to get an
answer that way, and then it's archived to other people to search on. Forcing
people on IRC to give you an answer to a question will not work.

Thanks,
Matt