List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Server-side KC synch with KMC gone
From:       Stefan Gehn <sgehn () gmx ! net>
Date:       2004-07-06 10:24:11

Am Dienstag, 6. Juli 2004 11:49 schrieb Till Gerken:
> On Tuesday 06 July 2004 11:34, Stefan Gehn wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 6. Juli 2004 11:20 schrieb Till Gerken:
> > > a while ago I added the possibility to make Kopete behave like it used
> > > to by adding an option to forward KMC names to KCs.
> >
> > Hmm, where was that option?
>
> Configure Kopete -> Behaviour -> Miscellaneous.

Heh, never noticed that one I think.

> > > I don't quite understand this as the KC names are used in the chat
> > > window and if you rename a KMC and want the KC name to stay in synch,
> > > you'll have to manually rename two objects, not to mention that the KMC
> > > names never make it to the server.
> >
> > I still don't understand why we still have these useless KMC names if
> > they are not used in chatwindows anyway. Either there has to be a way to
> > force KMC names on all KCs inside (sounds like the option you added) or
> > the KCM
>
> Yes, that was the option that I added. It defaulted to off so that the
> current Kopete behaviour was kept but could be changed back to the old if
> wanted.
>
> As for the separation of the names, there used to be a long long discussion
> a long long time ago where IIRC the consensus was to support both KMC and
> KC names. For as many people who want this, at least as many want them to
> be in synch, so I think the option is badly needed.

Maybe we should do this per metacontact and default to on or off *g* (IMHO
"on" because only for IRC the real nicknames are needed) like:

[ ] use name from server
[ ] forward name to subcontacts (and server if supported)

option 1 is disabled for > 1 subcontact, as usual.
option 2 does what Till once added but it's per metacontact, in case you have
contacts where this is never a desired action (think of irc/groupchat only
contacts)

That way I think all ways are possible:

- give contacts on server my metacontact names so I have friendly real names
on all my messenger installs (both checked or only second checked, depends on
number of KCs)
- allow a nice name on contactlist but still real nicknames for KCs, mostly
needed for groupchats (none checked)
- never use own names but always nicks from server/protocol (only first
checked)
- always ignore nicknames, even the ones on server (only second checked)

Bye, Stefan aka mETz