List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Usability: chat window[Scanned]
From:       William Leese <william () leese ! nl>
Date:       2004-04-18 19:15:17

Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On April 18, 2004 08:44 am, Olivier Goffart wrote:
>
>>Le Dimanche 18 Avril 2004 09:31, William Leese a écrit :
>>
>>>So, apart from "it's what the style guide says" - which simply isn't
>>>true, what other reasons are there not to have the toolbar directly
>>>above the text input area?
>>
>>Because a KDE toolbar is not allowed to be docked in the middle of a
>>window. That's simply technicaly not possible.
>
> This isn't really true. You can add dock areas anywhere you want.
>
> Depending on if the KDE menu bars use QT docking or KDE docking ( I am pretty
> sure the toolbars use the QT docking built into QMainWindow ) you could add a
> dock area using QDockArea to KDockWidget to add a dock area.
>
> Assuming I am right on the Qt docking we *could* add a QDockArea directly
> above below the slider in theory. I don't really support this though, IMO it
> is unneeded.

If it improves Kopete's usability and doesn't have any disadvantages,
why not? Why is it unneeded? Do you disagree with moving the format
toolbar directly above in the text input field?

> Note WIlliam that you are perfectly free to create your own chat window,
> Kopete's API makes it easy to plug new views in for the chat window, and it
> will probably be even easier in the future. There are already two such views.

Sounds interesting - although I don't have the necessary C++ knowledge
to do anything of the sort, I wouldn't mind trying. Where do I start?

   -- William